I used to eat fast food all the time. When I was in my 20s, single and working hard at my job, I never allowed myself much time for lunch, but there was a row of fast food joints just a short drive from my work. I would go out every day and grab something to eat mid-day, and my choice usually depended on how long the line was. Most of the food was consumed by the time I returned back to the office just a few minutes later. My typical week would look like this:
- Monday – McDonalds (two cheeseburgers, large fries, diet coke, 1,100 calories)
- Tuesday – Burger King (whopper jr., large fries, diet coke, 843 calories)
- Wednesday – Kentucky Fried Chicken (3 piece chicken, biscuit, potato wedges, diet coke, 860 calories)
- Thursday – Taco Bell (3 Gorditas, diet coke, 1,090 calories)
- Friday – Wendy’s (Jr. Bacon Cheeseburger, large fries, frosty, 1,170)
The only reason I drank diet coke instead of regular was because I thought the regular coke was too sweet. I never even thought to count the calories, not to mention worry about the sugar and chemicals.
In the past 2 years I can say I’ve eaten fast food twice. The last time I hadn’t had anything to eat and was in a the car so long and needed something fast. I had most of a Shamrock Shake, 2 Cheeseburgers, and a medium fry (trying to be good). I was about an hour from home when I ate these and they didn’t even taste good. Immediately I had a bad filmy taste in my mouth, within 30 minutes I had a stomach ache, and by time I got home I was so sick I had to go right to bed and sleep it off right in the middle of the day.
So if you don’t get a chance to read the full article, here are a few juicy experts.
- Strawberry milkshakes from McDonald’s and Dairy Queen contain more chemicals than a conventional fertilizer
- Nearly 90 percent of America’s children eat fast food on a monthly basis, and one-third of children visit these foods on daily basis
- The McRib doesn’t have any rib bones in it…made from pig innards, tripe, heart, and scalded stomach basis
- Taco Bell’s Fiesta Taco Salad with beef has 42 grams of fat…in a damn salad
- Traces of fecal matter have been found in fast food fountain soda
I know next time I’ll skip the drive through and just keep driving.